The Parts I Remember - A.K. Mills  photo witheverychoiceyoumakeyoucreateyourlife_zps8bd67354.jpg

If only I could go back and do things differently… Who hasn’t said that in their life? Chances are high that EVERYONE has said that at one time or another. Yes, because hindsight is 20/20 and if we all knew what bad choices we could get away with and which once we couldn’t, well, that would be pretty awesome, but that is not reality.

Act first. Think never. Remember nothing.

Sounds like a pretty selfish mentality if you ask me. That is how Kelly Rockport lives her life – in the “right now.” She is a loose cannon; with no regard to any of the potentially devastating consequences to her numerous poor decisions.

THE PARTS I REMEMBER is an excellent tale of caution and would definitely recommend this book to older teenagers and twenty-somethings that may be headed down the wrong path. Through a series of flashbacks, we learn how Kelly began living her life with reckless abandon and it’s not a pretty tale. Kelly’s first three years of college were basically a blur of booze, boys and drugs. She successfully skated through promiscuous encounters - unprotected sex with God only knows how many boys - night after night of blackout drunkenness and let’s not forget the drugs – but through it all, somehow she managed to escape facing any real consequences for her actions… lucky her.

THE PARTS I REMEMBER begins when Kelly’s luck finally runs out. When I say the repercussions for her actions were devastating times ten, well, that is perhaps a major understatement.

photo the_choices_i_mad-164_zpsd4f74811.jpg

Yet another reason to make sure the choices you are making today are ones you can live with tomorrow.

I experienced a number of emotions while reading this book. I was a bit nostalgic remembering my college years – suffice it to say, my college experience was nothing like Kelly’s, but I had my fun. I was angry – angry to think anyone could be so reckless with their life and the lives of others. I was sad for Kelly. Although she never really made any attempts to better her life, I was sad that she got sucked into the downward spiral and no one did anything about either because they were oblivious (how, I don’t know) or they enabled her wild-child behavior. But ultimately, Kelly was responsible for her own destiny.

New author, A.K. Mills makes an excellent debut with her first novel, THE PARTS I REMEMBER. I am really looking forward to reading her work again in the future; perhaps a story about the (hopefully) reformed wild-child that is Kelly Rockport?

✳✳ Copy provided by the author/publisher for an honest review.

✳✳ Reviewed on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews